Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Lord Kill me if I don't preach the Gospel part 2

She claimed to be a Christian. She was kind to others. She was generous, caring, loving. What really concerned me was when she answered my question, “Yeah,” when asked if she went to church. I remember asking a boy in Colorado if he went to church. The answer was the same, but come later to find his church preached three gods. I instantly thought back to that boy.
“So you’ve been saved?” I asked her skeptically. I was skeptical because she was living and sleeping with her husband before they were married, all justified by the fact that they were going to get married. What came next startled me really. She asked a question I was not prepared for.
“Okay, I really don’t understand. What do you mean by ‘saved’. Explain this to me.”
My mind went blank. Many of her friends had come into the clinic, all claiming to be Christians, carrying bibles, going to church. Many of whom I personally know from churches. One of whom is a home school family that I know.
So I’m trying to explain to her what it means to be redeemed. Saved—saved from hell, saved from the powers of sin, saved from an eternal punishment. Salvation with a change in your heart and in your mind. As Paul Washer describes, “It’s a growing in holiness. A desire, not to be like Britney Spears, not to be like the world, and not to be like the great majority of American Christianity but to be like Jesus Christ.” Your whole mindset will change once you are saved. Your once selfish desires are now a hunger to be like Jesus Christ, to follow after Him, and to serve Him, to lay your life down for Him, to worship Him alone and to go hard for Him. LORD kill me if I don’t preach the gospel.
Why did her ‘friends’ never tell her? Why did it have to be a co-worker that barely knew her? What is wrong with this picture? I left that room with her finally understanding, but appearing to have no affect on her as she just shrugged off the thought that we as sinful beings need a savior. Nobody knows how many souls are going to be damned to hell forever, so why don't we actually try to do something about it? 

No comments: